Sunday, September 24, 2006

I remember learning how to make french toast by watching Kramer vs. Kramer.

I remember Uncle Tom, a distant relation, whom we used to visit in Friern Barnet, north London, every year or so, and who had a fantastic record collection, mainly 78s, including such wonders as Axeman Spare that Tree, Mad Dogs and Englishmen and songs by Tom Lehrer. They were quite obscure at the time, but now I've probably got most of the stuff I used to listen to there on CD or downloaded from the Internet.

I remember Mike Wilson, of the Wilson Family, a family of fantastic unaccompanied singers from Teesside, beginning to sing Ewan McColl's Joy of Living at a singaround at Bracknell Folk Festival. Someone who I guess had been recently bereaved burst into tears, leapt up and ran out. At least I hope that's why they ran out. Mike carried on. It's a very moving song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home