Saturday, August 31, 2013

I remember Jif. I found a bottle among my camping stuff - in the box with my gas barbecue. I also found a Kleenex toilet roll that was nearly twenty years old. I can age it because there was a ‘kids go free’ promotion for Alton Towers on its wrapper, dated March-October 1994.

I remember whiskeyness/whiskguinness, a cocktail not only named but also devised, if I recall correctly, by myself and Michael Russell. (We didn’t bother to work out its spelling.) Guinness with an Irish whiskey added.

I remember the games we played at the fair on the Hard at Elmer Sands, some of which I replicated to use at Green Lane fairs. There was spin the arrow, where you spun an arrow and it stopped on a coloured segment and that identified whether you won a bottle of lemonade or similar. (Only one person won so you could guarantee making money, as long as you charged appropriately). There was also a game where cars were rolled down a board and did or didn’t make it into a ‘garage’. And roll-a-penny – my favourite.

I remember the Aunt Sally stall that Mike Appleby used to run at the Seatown RNLI barbecue and how overwhelmed I was to be asked to run it this year. Not only did Jake, Oliver and I have a great time – we raised £236!

I remember picking up a guy called Nick’s change from the bar as I helped him take a round of drinks back to our table, and then forgetting to give it back to him. We were fellow committee members with the Lambeth Summer Project, but I can’t remember his surname. I haven’t seen him since. He was an accountant, so should have known better…

I remember being able to download BBC radio programmes using standard streaming software. You just had to change the file path and instead of streaming it would download. Then along came the wonderful Radio Downloader which would download programmes automatically – until the BBC asked the developer to stop making BBC programmes available. And now… Home taping was never as complicated as this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home