Sunday, February 18, 2007

I remember seeing Patrick Stewart as Oberon in an RSC production of A Midsummer Night's Dream - the whole cast was so full of energy I marched back across the bridge to Waterloo Station in a state of elation.

I remember going for a ride into New Malden on the back of a scooter during a party we had after one of the Tiffin School fairs. Richard Faulkner drove - though it wasn't his scooter and as far as I know he didn't know how because I had never seen him on one before. It probably belonged to his girlfriend's brother, Fran. We were quite drunk. He was going all over the place and we nipped into a pub - probably the Railway. We could see a Panda car driving around outside so I said it would probably be best if I drove it back, despite the fact that I had never driven a scooter before either. Like I said, quite drunk. So the policeman pulled us over and Richard walked off, although the policeman made him come back and arrested me for having no licence or insurance and for being a complete idiot. I think the PC felt a little sorry for me, because he could obviously have charged me with a lot worse. My dad managed to get me through my driving test in a very short time so I could put up a reasonable display in the dock. The magistrates took kindly to me as well because I only got a three-month ban. A complete idiot. Quite drunk.

I remember singing in Carl Orff's Carmina Burana with the Tiffin Oratorio Choir at a church in Wandsworth. I had to borrow my dad's dinner jacket.

I remember a baritone solo - "Three kings from Persian lands afar" - in the Tiffin Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols at Kingston Parish Church for the past couple of years that has been absolutely stunning. Colin Prince's tenor solo each year used to make your hairs stand on end, but he retired a few years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home