Saturday, February 28, 2015

I remember discussing the song Mairsie doats and dosie doats and little lambsie divey (though obviously not the spelling) but I can’t remember the name of the woman I was discussing it with. Except she had a slightly high (croaky) voice. I presume it was an old music hall song, rendering in gibberish the words ‘mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy’.

I remember being taken to see the film The Abominable Snowman, and being very scared by it – to the extent of hiding behind the seat in front. Whether this is a true or false memory I do not know, because I managed to watch it the other day, the first time since I started looking for it, which was when video tapes were introduced. To my knowledge it hasn’t been on TV since then. It’s a Hammer film, starring Peter Cushing and Forrest Tucker, and isn’t that scary although it would be to a five year old, which is how old I would have been when it was released. My mum can’t remember taking me and I wouldn’t have thought it was a U certificate, but my dad thinks he might have taken me to a preview.

I remember watching them film a scene from the series Harbour Lights – in fact I am sure I have some photos somewhere. Again this might be a false memory, because I might just be remembering the scene as it appears on TV – with the red-haired girl being fished out of the Brit behind the restaurant.

I remember taking some really good pictures of revellers silhouetted against the bonfire at West Bay after the torchlight procession and then finding out I didn’t have any film in the camera.

I remember bumping into Lesley at the Tiffin Fair – this was when it was held at Whitsun and I always used to go – all dressed up for a TMDS show. She introduced me to Roger Charles, who introduced me to Chris Alderton. And that’s how I rejoined the stage gang.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home