Thursday, October 25, 2007

I remember a Brian Auger Trinity album that I had on cassette. I liked one side but not the other so taped over some of it with tracks from Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything - Torch Song was one of them. But I particularly remember one tune I loved which was Lament For Miss Baker. I only know that because I recently managed to download the whole album. Now I like it all.

I remember the waiting room of Epsom Hospital where I had to take Eliot fairly regularly with his back problems. The children's clinic waiting room was shared with maternity. I would whisper comments such as "How did all these ugly women get pregnant?" and Eliot - far more politicaly correct than myself, or perhaps just a nicer person - would get very cross with me.

I remember my community psychiatric nurse agreeing with everything I said.

I remember a comment I overheard a few weeks ago on the picture desk at the Sunday Express: "The Famous Five - were there books or was it just a television series?"

I remember the way Brian Patten, Liverpool poet, used to pronounce "th" as "v". It made him seem quite vulnerable. He still does it.

I remember finding out that Peter Redgrove used to go to Tiffins, albeit only for a little while, which I only did when he died. And that he lived near my brother in Falmouth. All these missed oportunities.

I remember Peter, Paul & Mary appearing on British television - possibly on Ready, Steady, Go but it might have been an "in concert" performance. One of their guitar strings broke, which obviously was not a problem. They just chatted and fixed it.

I remember being in love with Mary.

I remember remember playing Splat I think it was on the Sinclair Spectrum and being amazed that the little "character" could speak when it reached a certain point: "Yippee!" it cried in a reasonably human electronic voice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home